Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Not a Fairytale Ending

Today, someone I once knew well was convicted of several serious crimes. Even twenty-two years ago, there were clues - arrogance, a sense of entitlement, ambition that smelled like greed. So I can't honestly say that I was surprised by the news.

But there were good things about this person, too. Things like intelligence, generosity, and ambition that was boundless.

The prosecutor said a lot of people had been hurt. The jury returned a guilty verdict. I don't doubt that it was the right decision.

But I'm inexplicably sad about this turn of events, and I find myself crying now as I type. If this was a book, I could have redeemed the villain at the end, or, at the very least, rejoiced in the triumph of good over evil. But I don't like this ending at all.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joy,

    I just read this post. I feel sad for you! Justice can often be a double edged sword. While it's vindication for the pain and suffering inflicted on others, it still creates pain and suffering for those surrounding the accused.

    That's why prosecutors always seem so cold because they'd never prosecute anyone if they let their heart interfere...

    You have my ear should you need to vent!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete